Monday, July 28, 2008

Life Lessons Learned From Video Games

Sometimes when I’m going through hard times and I’m dealing with problems and pain in my life I get really angry with God. I mean everyone keeps telling me it’s going to be ok and God’s got everything under control but it just seems to me like He’s not doing a very good job. Yesterday, I was playing Playstation with my little brother and I was getting really frustrated because I just could not beat this one level. He kept saying, “Jess, I can help you,” and I was like “No! I can do it myself!” I kept trying but was sadly unsuccessful. Finally, I reluctantly handed over my controller. It took him about 10 seconds to beat it. I was shocked. I said, “Chance, how the heck did you beat that so fast?!” He turned, looked at me, and shrugged, “It was easy; I’ve beaten that level before.” Maybe that’s how it is in our spiritual lives. Correction… MY spiritual life. God keeps telling me, “Come on, I can take care of this you just have to let me be in control.” And I keep telling Him, “No, I can do this… I know I can.” Then when I lie there completely broken before him and reluctantly offer up control to Him He says to me, “Jess, don’t you know… I’ve already beaten this level.” I sat there for a little while longer and just watched him play. A purpose for every action. I noticed he kept running into the bad guys and fighting with them. When I asked him why he told me, “Well when I beat these little guys it makes me stronger so I can fight the big bad guy.” Maybe that’s what all these problems are all about. I’m just getting powered up to fight the big bad guy. Either way God’s at the controls and He’s beaten the whole game.






1 Chorinthians 10:14 (the message)
So, my very dear friends, when you see people reducing God to something they can use or control, get out of their company as fast as you can.

No comments: