Monday, July 28, 2008

Everyday Superhero

Yesterday was a really great day. My dad pulled me out of school just to have a hang out day with him. It’s funny, when I was younger we use to go on “Daddy- Daughter dates” all the time and we talked about school and sports and what kind of fun stuff I was doing with my friends. As I’ve grown older our conversations have shifted. I think it’s been hard for him seeing his little girl grow up. We have always been best friends, you know, he’s my hero. Our discussions have become more and more Christ- centered. I find myself getting so frustrated with religion and “academic faith” (if those can even coexist) and the weakness of the church and for the first time I can really see myself when I hear him talk. You know, he introduced me to my other hero, Mike Yaconelli. You’ve probably heard me talk about him before. He’s what I like to call a hardcore Jesus freak. His books have changed my life… or should I say they have helped Jesus ruin my life. Well anyway… back to my dad. You know all the superheroes on TV? How they have theses super defined bodies and they’re decked out they’re decked out with their tights and capes, complete with their secret identity and handy butler. Well yesterday I discovered a new kind of superhero. He’s a superhero of the soul. He’s slightly out of shape leaning towards the teddy bear side, armed with his jeans, crocs, and coach’s hat. He is void of any secret identity and confident in the rawness of his inadequacy. He’s not perfect, and that’s his superpower. He changes lives because he embraces the life ruining, grace filled, and accepting Jesus that created the world. He’s the superhero that no one expected and he’s my dad.

No comments: