Monday, September 1, 2008

Baggy Sweatshirt and Pringles

Why is it so hard to be real with people? Everyone hides in some way, right? I mean you pretend to be tough because you’re afraid of getting hurt, or you pretend to be vain because you really do hate how you look. I think people are just afraid of others finding out who they really are. We live in a world where we are constantly told that we are not good enough. It is forever shaping us to be self haters and mask wearers. It has focused are view on the exact opposite of where God wants it. See, God sees us as beautifully created children of purpose. He doesn’t make mistakes. We are wonderfully made and when we cover that we cover God’s handiwork. This is something I struggle with on a daily basis. I don’t see myself as necessarily beautiful by the world’s standards. Sometimes I feel as if I have to cover who I am so that others accept me. It manifests itself in many ways. Some days I run my straightener through my hair hoping if I get it just right it might distract from my other faults. I laugh at jokes I don’t think are funny just to fit in. There are even times I’ve acted mean just to cover the pain I was feeling. It’s funny, I thought I would fall back into that once I got to college, but I find myself being more and more confident in who I am. Today a friend of mine randomly showed up at my door. I was pretty much completely unprepared. I had my basketball pants on, and, due to the fact that it’s freezing in my room, was snuggled in my biggest, baggiest, warmest sweatshirt. She was just coming by to talk and maybe worship a little. We popped open a can of Pringles and sat around talking about life. I found myself being completely open and honest with her. I wasn’t worried about her judging me or her think I was a loser; we even got to worship together. I found out that Jesus doesn’t really care what you look like when you come before Him- He really only cares about your heart. Jesus is just funny that way I guess. He’s pretty proud of that which He has created. I think that we as the creation should be content in who we are and work on conforming our hearts to his image. I think everyday should be a baggy sweatshirt and Pringles day.





Psalm 139:13-16 (The Message)
Oh yes, you shaped me first inside, then out; you formed me in my mother's womb. I thank you, High God—you're breathtaking! Body and soul, I am marvelously made! I worship in adoration—what a creation! You know me inside and out, you know every bone in my body; You know exactly how I was made, bit by bit, how I was sculpted from nothing into something.
Like an open book, you watched me grow from conception to birth; all the stages of my life were spread out before you, The days of my life all prepared before I'd even lived one day.

No comments: