Monday, August 25, 2008

Soft Spots

Everyone has a hero. The funny thing is that most heroes don’t even know they are heroes. Growing up I loved watching Saturday morning cartoons. My favorite two cartoons were Power Rangers and Batman. I liked both because the super heroes were so human. It’s not like they were dropped in a vat of toxic waste or were sent here from a different planet. They were just normal people with cool toys and mad ninja skills! I love the humanness in the super hero. I mean every hero has it’s weakness it’s what makes them relatable. It’s what makes them so much more of a hero. I find that the same is true for my heroes now. The more real they are; the more they embrace their imperfections; the more they become my hero. I had a talk with one of my heroes last night. I was frustrated and nervous. I was just at one of those points in my life where I had stopped pursuing my goal and had started focusing on my failures. He just wouldn’t let me give up that easy. He reminded me that my failures make me better and that it’s not so much the perfecting of the skill that’s important but rather the passionate pursuit of learning to improve. It’s interesting that as many times as I’ve heard that, having him say it right when I needed it made me want to work so much more for my goal. I know I’m going to mess up and fail, probably a lot, but I have people that believe in me and won’t let me give up. So I’m writing this to say thank you, even though you probably won’t see this and you may never know how much your words mean to me. Thank you. For believing me in me so much that you’re willing to invest your life in me.





Titus 2:1-8 (The Message)
Your job is to speak out on the things that make for solid doctrine. Guide older men into lives of temperance, dignity, and wisdom, into healthy faith, love, and endurance. Guide older women into lives of reverence so they end up as neither gossips nor drunks, but models of goodness. By looking at them, the younger women will know how to love their husbands and children, be virtuous and pure, keep a good house, be good wives. We don't want anyone looking down on God's Message because of their behavior. Also, guide the young men to live disciplined lives. But mostly, show them all this by doing it yourself, incorruptible in your teaching, your words solid and sane. Then anyone who is dead set against us, when he finds nothing weird or misguided, might eventually come around.

1 comment:

mcbutter said...

thank you for speaking out on the things that make for solid doctrine. When I see people around me diligently following Christ, it inspires me and challenges me to seek him. I appreciate your boldness because it makes me realize how much harder I need to work. In a good way. :)